Wednesday, July 1, 2009

News from Iceland: birds inject hope?

I just got back from a two week trip around Iceland. I had worked there for an ad agency many years ago. I found the country in quite good shape and will be writing some posts about what I saw. Still sifting through 2 gigs of pictures...

One of my favorite museums was Sigurgeirs Bird Museum (in Icelandic known as Fuglasafn Sigurgeirs)- a family owned and operated shrine to their late brother's incredible bird collection. This museum is located in the beautiful, but somewhat remote Lake Mývatn district.

In my post-visit research, I found that they are getting some additional funding from an Icelandic group called the Aurora Foundation. A very interesting match with the funders charter:

"The primary aim of the foundation is to enhance and strengthen cultural and humanitarian activities in Iceland and abroad. Emphasis is focused on supporting projects that can make a difference, that inject hope and optimism into a community."

After having seen the museum and met the hard-working director, I can see that such a project would inject great hope and awe into the lakeside community it lives in. More about it to come.

Image courtesy of the Aurora Foundation.

No comments: